From the Manufacturer
Hohensalzburg Castle is a castle in the Austrian city of Salzburg. It sits on Festungsberg hill. With a length of 250 meters and a width of 150 meters, it is one of the largest medieval castles in Europe. Construction of the fortress began in 1077 under Archbishop Gebhard von Helfenstein. This original design was just a basic bailey with a wooden wall. In Salzburg, the Archbishops were powerful political figures, and they expanded the castle to protect their interests. The Investiture Controversy influenced the expansion of the castle, with the Salzburg Archbishops taking the side of the Pope. The castle was gradually expanded during the following centuries. The ring walls and towers were built in 1462 under Burkhard II of Weißpriach. Prince Archbishop Leonhard von Keutschach further expanded the castle. In 1515, Cardinal Matthäus Lang, who was later to become the Archbishop of Salzburg, wrote a description of the Reisszug, a very early and primitive funicular railway that provided freight access to the upper courtyard of the castle. The line still exists, albeit in updated form, and is probably the oldest operational railway in the world. The only time that the fortress came under siege was in 1525, when a group of miners, farmers and townspeople tried to oust Prince Archbishop Cardinal Matthäus Lang, but failed to take the castle. During the Thirty Years' War, Count Paris of Lodron strengthened the town's defenses, including Hohensalzburg. He added various parts to the fortress, such as the gunpowder stores and additional gatehouses. The fort was surrendered without a fight during the Napoleonic Wars. In the 19th century, it was used as a barracks, storage depot and dungeon before being abandoned as a military outpost in 1861. Tools needed to complete construction: mid-sized scissors, modeling knife, water-based glue, ruler or triangle, and modeling pins. Tools Not Included.