This is a great trimmer for a great price!!!
12 May, 2007
I was given a beard trimmer for Christmas with all sort of attachments. However, it was a terrible trimmer and was constantly catching my beard hairs, but that's for another review. The point is I needed a trimmer that was more powerful and didn't catch my facial hairs as the one I had gotten for Christmas did.
After quite a lot of on-line research I came across the Panasonic ER224. It looked great from the pictures and reviews, and since I've had good luck with Panasonic in the past, I decided to go ahead and buy it. I bought it from Amazon for only $32 with shipping and had it a few days later.
I usually only shave once a week, but I'll still trim my goatee and mustache as needed to keep it looking well groomed. By the time I had received this trimmer, I was in need! The first thing that struck me was it was much larger than I had expected. The pictures certainly don't do it justice. Then I realized that this trimmer is actually designed to be used as a trimmer for both facial and top of the head hair. I have used it on my own facial hair, and then used it on my 2 yr. old son's head.
What I liked:
1. The entire trimmer is washable. However, you must regularly oil it to keep it in good working order.
2. There are 14 separate length adjustments, even though the dial will show the max numbered length is 20.
3. Very sturdy and well built trimmer.
4. When on, the trimmer adjustment is locked down, and takes a great amount of force to push the trimmer guard down. If you are able to push the guard down, it immediately turns off the trimmer. Excellent safety feature, for your hair that is!
5. The trimmer guard is removable, and beneath it is a smaller trimmer that can be extended to be activated and is to be used to help get at those smaller and hard to reach areas, like under the nose, etc.
6. Relatively quiet operation.
7. Quick charging.
What I don't like:
1. The smaller trimmer beneath the trimmer guard works, but is slightly better than the one located on my electric shaver.
Everyday Use Experience:
As I've said I used this trimmer right away on my goatee and was very impressed. It didn't catch any of my hairs once and that's very important to me! The guard was larger than I expected, but works great, and that's all that matters. The trimmer comes with a small tube of oil and a hair brush, which I thought was helpful. I also was impressed that it was washable, however, the brush thus far has been adequate. Especially since it's no problem to remove the guard. After just a few passes with the trimmer, my goatee looked great. That is a good thing about having such a large guard, you only need to go over your beard a few times.
Then I used it on my son's head. His hair was growing over his ears and my wife was at work. So I sat him in the bathtub, turned the dial to a 5 and began... Then I left my wife a message telling her what I'd done. She came home, and the first words out of her mouth was, "What have you done???" However, I thought it went great. Granted his head was all one length, and maybe a little shorter than I was expecting... But besides all that, the trimmer itself worked flawlessly! I was able to trim his hair and again no snags or pulling. He was quite content to let me use it on him as it is a rather quiet trimmer anyways. I have not used the trimmer on my own head because I'm not that daring.
If you are looking for a great facial hair trimmer, or any other body part trimmer for that matter, then I highly recommend you buy this trimmer. Again, I have not used it on my own head, so I can only attest that the trimmer works great on my son's head, but don't ask my wife... However, that had nothing to do with the trimmer itself, just my ability to use it and choose the correct length, but that's a different story.